Curses! The Vampire Diaries is on the verge of breaking one this week, but not before some pretty big complications get in the way. Bonnie gets witchy, Tyler gets twitchy, and many, many smoldering glances are exchanged between some potential couples.
As usual, I've broken down the episode into the good, the bad, and the bloody, which I'm ready to discuss when you
- There isn't much more talk about the curse's complications, just action to break the curse. Damon and Stefan visit Katherine to get the moonstone so they can break the spell and keep Elena safe, and Katherine makes a deal with them that she'll hand it over if they get her out of the tomb. The only catch is that Elena refuses to let them do it and endanger anyone else.
- Elena's getting feistier! Katherine's doppelganger makes a deal of her own — to get Rose to help her, she offers to have Bonnie make her a ring to walk in the sun. At Slater's, she and Rose find him dead and his shaken-up girlfriend Alice. Inciting a bit of Katherine's deviousness, she lies to Alice so she'll give up Slater's email password (heh: it's "Kristen Stewart") and get the message to Klaus that she wants to surrender and sacrifice herself.
- Tyler and Caroline's bond gets deeper when she wants to help him deal with his first werewolf transition. They explore the space under the Lockwood property and find Mason's journal and a creepy video diary of his first transformation. Poor Tyler freaks out as he watches the agony his uncle went through, and declares that he can't do it. More importantly, they share meaningful glances while discussing Caroline's relationship problems. Way to play the understanding friend, Ty. Classic (and effective) courting move. It's touching when Caroline explains why she's making an effort to be there for Tyler in his very scary time of need. Matt interrupts, missing Caroline; but watch out, Human Lonely Boy — the Caroline and Tyler monster love storm is a-brewin', and you can't stop it.
- Another meeting of the witch/vampire/Jeremy club! As Bonnie incants a spell to incapacitate Katherine while the Salvatores are in the tomb, she gets a nosebleed again. Jeremy protectively worries about Bonnie's strength — and steals some of the ash from her spell. He heads to the tomb, wounds Katherine, and snags the moonstone, but not before Katherine wakes up and bites him. To come to his rescue in the tomb, Bonnie begins another spell and channels Luka for strength, like he had shown her at school. But it's not enough, and though Luka shares the pain, they both pass out. With Bonnie beaten, Stefan rushes into the tomb to keep Katherine from harming Jeremy further, and traps himself inside with her. Oopsie-daisy!
- Elena and Damon have their usual combative moment of passion when he goes to get her from Slater's and prevent her from giving herself up. Though he sounds hostile when he says "Get your ass out the door before I throw you over my shoulder and carry you out myself," it's hot. There is so a flicker of Elena wanting him to do exactly that, but Elijah bursts in then, just to burst right back out. I'm confused, Damon's confused — why didn't he take Elena? Later, he reports back to Luka's father Jonas that she's safe, which is how he wants her. So . . . Elijah and Jonas are good guys?
- Oh hey, what's up, half-naked Alaric? Elena catches Jenna and Alaric after getting it on, while Jonas pilfers some family belongings downstairs. The only thing bad about this is how little we get to hang out with shirtless Alaric, and how cavalier Jenna is about making post-coital references to Elena. Ew.
- Do the writers think Bonnie/Jeremy can be as tortured as Elena/Damon? That's my guess as they dramatically try to resist each other. I groaned as Bonnie delivers the line "You can't feel that way about me." Well, I can't feel that way about you guys. Either date, or don't. But you are no Elena and Damon.
- Katherine uses Jeremy's neck as an all-you-can-eat buffet, and his open, exposed wound back at his house is pretty gnarly. I'd be more grossed out if it didn't look so fake.
So, what did you think of this week's episode? Are you looking forward to seeing Katherine and Stefan hook up in the tomb? Chat about this week's events, and then make sure you also belong to the Hooked on Vampire Diaries group in the community!
Photos courtesy of The CW