So much happened in The Vampire Diaries season four finale, but a lot happened over the Summer too . . . unless you're Stefan. Elena and Damon put in quality couple time, Rebekah and Matt toured Europe and had threesomes and stuff, Jeremy got used to being alive again, while Bonnie kept on being dead (but pretending not to be). Now we pick up as the school year does too, and Elena and Caroline have the same college problems as average girls — along with some distinctly vampire issues.
This is The Vampire Diaries, so the drama kicks off immediately, not just on the new college campus, but back in Mystic Falls too, where Silas and human Katherine are back in the mix. Ready to break down the good, the bad, and the bloody of the season premiere? Let's do it after the jump.
- Elena and Damon are a legitimate couple, and they've been hooking up all over the Salvatore house to prove it. They seem pretty confident about getting into a long distance relationship, but we're already seeing some cracks when Caroline mentions that Elena has been dreaming about Stefan, and Damon starts with some little white lies about what's really going on in Mystic Falls right now.
- So what's going on in Mystic Falls right now? One word: Silas. He's casually cruising all over town with Stefan's face, even briefly fooling Damon. When he's literally a little too cool for Jeremy, he and Bonnie figure out that "Stefan" is Silas. Meanwhile, what he wants the most is Katherine, who's back as we've never seen her before — a vulnerable mess. We don't know yet what Silas wants with Katherine so bad, but with him being so powerful (compelling entire towns!) and her being so weak, it shouldn't be that hard.
- Let's address Jeremy, who's had to address being alive after actually being dead. His cover story is not that great (extreme stress led him to fake his own death), but he's still under stress as he heads back to school and immediately gets expelled for fighting. We're moving past the whole dead-to-alive thing pretty quickly, but the thing I do like about Jeremy's presence right now is how Damon is taking care of him. When Jeremy almost dies (not again, dude!) at the end of the episode, Damon saves him and looks so sweet all worried about him.
- Elena and Caroline are off to college, and like most normal girls, they get a roommate who annoys them — though if you ask me, Megan is super cool. Or was: when Megan turns up dead during a party, clearly attacked by a vampire, the girls are suspicious about what's going on. And you thought learning how to do your laundry was hard!
- Poor Stefan has been stuck in that watery lockbox for months, hallucinating that Damon is telling him to turn off his humanity switch to get out (which is exactly what he would do). He almost does it, but then he hallucinates Elena who begs him to keep it, telling him it's what makes him him. Aw, that's exactly what she would do too. So I guess the Stefan/Elena connection sure isn't dead, am I right?
- So, uh, how long is ghost Bonnie going to be a thing? She can't keep up this charade for long, and her character just isn't adding that much right now. I was ready to say goodbye!
- You guys, what happened to Matt?! When his and Rebekah's criminal threesome buddy, Nadia, shows up in Mystic Falls, she seems all nice at first, wanting to return his ring. But as soon as he puts on, her creepy associate seizes Matt and he gets those terrifying black eyes that will always remind me of True Blood season two.
- We never got to know Bonnie's dad, but the scene where Silas mercilessly cuts his throat is awful. Poor Bonnie, who screams while no one can hear her, and while they're not reacting either because they're under his spell.
What did you think of the season premiere?