It's baaaack! One of my favorite returning series, The Vampire Diaries, is back in action, which means my recaps are as well. We were sort of primed for this with a wealth of new photos and the trailer, but nothing beats the show being on the air again.Elena's evil doppelganger Katherine is out on the loose in Mystic Falls while the fallout from the season finale is visited as well. There's plenty of drama to tackle, so to discuss the good, the bad, and the bloody of the premiere, just keep reading.
- The Good
- It's tough trying to make a good girl into a compelling character, and Nina Dobrev does what she can with the ever-affected Elena, but I have to say that Dobrev as Katherine is just so much more fun. Even though I'm sure I'll be annoyed if we have to figure out we're seeing Katherine or Elena each time she appears onscreen, it's kind of delicious to see the good girl gone bad (and Katherine getting it on with Damon. She may not really be Elena, but this is a nice little preview).
- Bonnie and Damon get to spar with each other again, and though Bonnie has a deep dislike for the vamp, I can almost hear the chemistry crackle. I particularly love the way they look at each other during and after Bonnie plays her witchy headache game on Damon. I think actress Katerina Graham knew exactly what I was talking about when I brought up their sexual tension.
- Just when mopey Damon was starting to bore me, he throws a wrench into any sympathy I had for him. Rejected by both women he loves, he takes out his anger on Jeremy, breaking his neck with barely the bat of an eyelash. Luckily, Jeremy has his father's protective ring on and he's OK, but Elena and Damon aren't. Sobbing that she hates him, I can hardly imagine how he's going to gain her trust back now. Two steps forward, a hundred steps back.
- Katherine proves that she truly is e-vil when she wants to send Damon and Stefan a message about how bad she is, and the messenger is Caroline . . . dead Caroline. I was really not expecting her to smother Caroline in the hospital, and I'd never considered the notion that a new vampire could be created out of Mystic Falls's perky prom queen. But with Damon's blood in her system, that's exactly what I think is going to happen next. Well played, Kevin Williamson.
- The Bad
- Elena! Do you have to be so callous about Damon's feelings? "I'm surprised you thought I would kiss you back"? Rude.
- I know Tyler is going through a lot with his father's death and strange new emotions (read: werewolf puberty), but I hope that his development and situation with Uncle
DreamyMason (new cast member Taylor Kinney) is handled better than it was in the premiere. I could do with less alcohol-fueled rebellion and more sexy primal-ness (FYI: this is how you do it).
- Williamson is one of my favorite TV writers, but the script feels a bit off this week, didn't it? Damon only has a few witty one-liners and the whole episode just seems to be more low key than last season (aside from the final moments, that is). Maybe my expectations were just too high for the premiere after such an earth-shattering season finale. We have a whole season to look forward to, though, and I know things are bound to get better.
- The Bloody
- I hoped we could leave the past in the past, but much to my disdain, we had to see Katherine chopping off John's fingers all over again, this time from a new angle.
- Of course a sword just happens to be conveniently placed in the Lockwoods' yard for Katherine to grab and fillet poor Stefan. Aside from that, Katherine doesn't shed much blood, choosing a clean way to kill Caroline. But I don't expect it to last, nor do I want it to — I can't wait to see Dobrev's face covered in that depraved strawberry sundae sauce again.
Did the season premiere live up to your expectations? Even if it wasn't quite as crazy as I had hoped, it's setting the groundwork for what'll surely be a thrilling arc. What are you most pumped for — Katherine/Elena, the werewolves, or just a fresh new season in general? Let's kick off the dialogue in the comments below, and don't forget to join the Hooked on Vampire Diaries group in the Buzz Community for more!
Photos courtesy of The CW