Phillip Lim's Spring 2012 collection was built around the ideas of geometry, activewear, and kites. Yes, those wispy things we send up to the sky inspired Lim's soft, flowing clothes, many of which ruffled and moved with the slightest breeze. There was lots of silk, from side-slit trousers to delicate dresses with geometric ruffles. There were sporty pieces as well, including tops that looked like they had been cut from a thin rubber (more chic than it sounds), micro twill utility vests, and a bonded leather round collar jacket. The trousers will be a must have next season, done in soft colors like limoncello and lavender for ultimate breezy style. So, too, will be the metallic silver sandals that look so insanely good with Lim's pastel-hued offerings.
- Trends: Sporty, structural shapes, pastels, vests.
- Colors: Soft pastels like limoncello, lilac, and shell pink; tempered with black, ivory, and pecan.
- Key Piece: The side-slit trousers, a black racerback maxi vest paired with slouchy pecan-hued trousers, the shell pink bonded leather jacket, a deceptively simple, but perfect, black halter minidress that floated around the body.
- Accessories: The silver Domina and Nishi sandals are gorgeous.
- Who Would Wear It: The effortless, downtown chic girls loved by Lim — from fashion bloggers like Hanneli to red-carpet stars like Leighton Meester and Rachel Bilson.