Alexander Wang staged a dark and dramatic show tonight at Pier 94, setting the mood for a high-impact show complete with a tricky "runway" configuration, strategically placed mirrors, and our favorite highlight of the night, a surprise appearance from Gisele Bundchen. "I personally think he's a great guy, a great person, and he's always so sincere," said Bundchen. "He asked me and I'm very happy that I was able to be here." The show kicked off with a vast array of structured, lacquered wool coats paired with laser-cut fishnet turtlenecks — pulled over part of the face to look like a mask — and waxed suede manipulated to look like leather. The latter was used to create black- and oxblood-hued military-inspired dresses and sexy front-slit skirts. Then came the fringe, thus far a burgeoning trend on the Fall runways, juxtaposed on crisp collared shirtdresses and tops. The surprise closer of the evening featured top models like Karolina Kurkova and Bundchen facing the mirrors — then peeling off their half-masks. Mystifying? Yes, but there's no confusion when it comes to Wang and his modern way of thinking.
- Trends: Lacquer, laser-cut details, fringe.
- Colors: Black, oxblood, white.
- Key Piece: A cropped hoodie jacket, leather minidress, any of the botanical ombré pieces.
- Accessories: Lacquered and leather knee-high boots, stacked ankle boots, leather gloves, leather duffel bags, small crossbody bags.
- Who Would Wear It: Downtown girls like Alexa Chung, Zoe Kravitz, and Erin Wasson.