This year a handful of ballsy designers, celebrities, and industry insiders broke free from their comfort zones and undertook revolutionary projects. Diane von Furstenberg created a Wonder Woman of a collection, Viktor & Rolf broke runway tradition, and Barneys New York's Simon Doonan tied the knot . . . with his boyfriend! But that's just the tip of the iceberg. Read on.
- Viktor & Rolf sparked a new virtual runway trend.
- Rihanna became the Gucci/UNICEF spokeswoman.
- Vogue Italia published its first ever, all-black issue.
- Simon Doonan married longtime beau Jonathan Adler.
- Victoria Beckham did it all. She created a dress collection, judged Project Runway Season Four's finale, modeled for Marc Jacobs, and signed a deal with Emporio Armani underwear campaign.
To see more fashion trailblazing acts of 2008, read more
- Diane von Furstenberg created a Wonder Woman collection, a comic book, launched her "Women We Can" campaign, and hosted a fabulous post-show dinner at New York Fashion Week where yours truly witnessed the action first hand.
- Net-a-Porter sold Halston's comeback collection the day after the show, signed an exclusive deal with London house Preen, and created a limited-edition trend book.
- Karl Lagerfeld staged another elaborate collection and created a Chanel mobile art pavilion.
- Gwyneth Paltrow did a mini movie with Tod's and launched a lifestyle website, Goop.Cute!
- The controversial April Vogue cover with Gisele Bundchen and LeBron James was accused of racially stereotyping.
- The 2008 Costume Institute Gala went superhero on us.
- CFDA made major strides. It announced its fashion award winners (Congrats Womenswear Designer of the Year Francisco Costa for Calvin Klein), backed the model health issue, gave Alexander Wang the 2008 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund award, and threw two huge events: 2008 CFDA Awards in June, and 2008 CFDA Awards in November.