Over 500 American cities will celebrate the fourth installment of Fashion's Night Out on Sept. 6, but many of the event's biggest appearances will happen in New York.
Designers like Oscar de la Renta and Vera Wang have already scheduled appearances at some of Manhattan's best stores — and so have celebrities like Jessica Chastain and Azealia Banks. There's a full accounting of who will be where on the official FNO website, but here are our picks for the evening's can't-miss events and appearances.
- The Knocks will perform at the Intermix boutique in the Meatpacking District.
- Cyndi Lauper will perform at Manolo Blahnik's 54th Street Boutique at 8:30 p.m. to celebrate her new musical, Kinky Boots.
- Christian Cota will mingle with guests at Bloomingdale's Third Avenue store as he displays his Fall collection.
- Carmen Marc Valvo will raffle off one of his Fall fur pieces at Bloomingdale's Third Avenue store.
- Thom Browne will make an appearance at Brooks Brothers' store in the West Village.
- Francisco Costa, Italo Zucchelli, and Vogue's Virginia Smith will host a party at the brand's Madison Avenue flagship store, where guests will include Hanneli Mustaparta and basketball player Dwyane Wade.
- David Yurman will serve cocktails and canapes inspired by his own jewelry designs at his Madison Avenue boutique.
- Donna Karan will sign copies of her new book Stephen Weiss: Connecting the Dots at her Madison Avenue store. At Karan's store in SoHo, Karlie Kloss will debut her Perfect 10 Kookies and Lauren Bush Lauren will unveil DKNY's collaboration with FEED.
- Grace Coddington will host a party at Balenciaga's Chelsea store to introduce a line of accessories decorated with sketches of her cat, Pumpkin.
Photo courtesy of Balenciaga.
- Dior has enlisted Arthur Elgort to take portraits of partygoers at its store on East 57th Street.
- Gilles Mendel will host a book-signing party for Mary Helen Bowers at the J. Mendel store on Madison Avenue.
- Foley + Corinna's Dana Foley and Anna Corinna will make an appearance at Henri Bendel on Fifth Avenue, where performers from Cirque du Soleil's Zumanity will hang from the ceilings.
- Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig will premiere Marchesa's new fragrance at Sephora's Fifth Avenue store with a display of gowns that have been previously worn by celebrities.
- Petra Nemcova will make an appearance at Stuart Weitzman's Madison Avenue store.
- Holy Ghost! will perform at the Surface to Air store on Mercer Street.
- The work of artist Erik Ravelo and other knitted artwork will be featured in the United Colors of Benetton's SoHo pop-up store.
Photo courtesy of Benetton.
- Jean-Michel Cazabat will make an appearance at his store on Bleecker Street.
- Max and Lubov Azria will meet with fans at Lord & Taylor, where Kristi Yamaguchi will be signing tote bags from Tsuya.
- The Louis Vuitton Express (from the Fall 2012 show in Paris) will make an appearance at the brand's Fifth Avenue store.
- Margherita Missoni will host a party at Missoni's store on Madison Avenue, where she'll be selling rings that support a charity that works to provide safe drinking water in Africa.
- The sister act DJ duo Kissette will supply the music for M Missoni's party at its store in SoHo.
- Reformation will celebrate the opening of its new flagship store on Howard Street in SoHo.
- Michael Kors will host a party at his store on Madison Avenue, and word has it he'll be joined by a few celebrity guests.
- Designer Michelle Smith will host a party at the Milly store on Madison Avenue.
- Nigel Barker and Chrissy Teigen will be on hand at Nine West's Sixth Avenue store to kick off the brand's Runway Relief program.
- Elettra Wiedemann will host an event at the Roger Vivier store on Madison Avenue, where the brand will sell a limited-edition line of ballerina flats.
- Odin and Kirna Zabete will celebrate their collaborations with The Shops at Target at a pop-up shop in the Meatpacking District.
Photo courtesy of Target.
- Tiffany & Co. will celebrate its 175th anniversary at its new store in SoHo.
- Olivia Palermo, Nicky Hilton, Genevieve Jones, and Sofia Sanchez Barrenechea will host a party at Valentino's Madison Avenue Boutique.
- Yigal Azrouel will make an appearance at his new Madison Avenue store alongside Meredith Kahn, designer of Made Her Think.
- Erin Fetherston and her hairstylist Edward Tricomi will cut customers' bangs into Fetherston's signature look at Saks Fifth Avenue.
- Oscar de la Renta will introduce his new fragrance Essential Luxuries at Saks Fifth Avenue.
- Max Osterweis and Erin Beatty will help customers choose custom Suno nail art created in collaboration with Minx at Saks Fifth Avenue.
- Solange Knowles will be the special guest DJ at the Diane von Furstenberg store in the Meatpacking District, and Vogue senior market editor Meredith Melling Burke will help actress Allison Williams of Girls style shoppers.
- Azealia Banks will perform at the MAC Cosmetics store in SoHo.
- Bergdorf Goodman will celebrate its 111th anniversary with help from designers Rachel Zoe, Thakoon Panichgul, Lela Rose, Naeem Khan, and Michael Bastian.
- Vera Wang will host a party at her SoHo store with Gossip Girl costume designer Eric Daman.
- Alessandra Ambrosio will pose for pictures with fans at the Victoria's Secret store in SoHo.
- Jessica Chastain will make an appearance at Jeffrey New York, where designer Monique Pean will serve as DJ.
- Michael Kors will host a game of fashion trivia at Macy's Herald Square.
- Vogue's senior accessories editor Rickie de Sole will show shoppers how to create an ultimate shoe closet at Macy's Herald Square.
Photo: Arizona Muse models the official Fashion's Night out 2012 t-shirt.