It was a sad Sunday. I remember waking to the news of fashion great Yves Saint Laurent passing June 1; throughout the week the fashion world mourned. We put together a tribute slideshow, but that will never do the couturier justice. Looking back on Fab, before June 1, we featured Yves Saint Laurent on a regular basis. Most being new school YSL, under the direction of creative director Stefano Pilati, all being rooted in the man who popularized menswear for women, beatnik, and safari style. Even before then, Yves was thrown into the fire at Christian Dior, upon Dior's death, and kept the house afloat at the ripe age of 21.
This man was arguably the first couturier to delve into ready-to-wear. His Rive Gauche stores sold his RTW creations, and he became an international sensation with actress Catherine Deneuve and icon Loulou de la Falaise favoring his clothes. Like many risk-takers, Yves's collections were often pooh-poohed by the press — but ended up setting the trends. Yves retired in 2002. Many of today's designers cite YSL as being an influence, and the designer left behind countless friends and fans. Here are some of our favorite stories about the late designer and the house:
- Fab Field Trip: Yves Saint Laurent, San Francisco
- Fab Field Trip: The Yves Saint Laurent Exhibit at the De Young Museum, San Francisco
- Fashion Metamorphosis: Yves Saint Laurent
- Hit of the Season: Yves Saint Laurent Jersey Bustier Dress
- Fab Quiz! Kaiser Karl or YSL?
- Fab Ad: Yves Saint Laurent Spring/Summer '08
- Fab Ad: Yves Saint Laurent Fall '08
- Fab Ad: Yves Saint Laurent, Spring '09
- What's Inside Lindsay Lohan's Massive YSL Bag?
- FABTV: Kate Moss/YSL Double Feature
- Fabcon: Loulou de la Falaise
- Double Take: Yves Saint Laurent and Austin Scarlett
- Freaky or Fabulous? Kate Moss, Stain, YSL
To see the rest, read more