For Bottega Veneta's Fall 2012 collection, Tomas Maier showed us his take on wearable luxury, highlighting sleek suiting, sharp coats, and an impressive batch of evening wear. “The look is covered up and the materials are virtually impenetrable, yet the effect is powerfully physical,” said Maier. Day wear focused on tailored coats, cropped trousers, and skirt suits featuring brooch-adorned jackets, refined blazers, and knee-length pencil skirts dipped in purple, black, and navy hues. Meanwhile, '40s-inspired shift dresses were injected with a modern touch via sliced leather insets and statement prints. The latter was featured on a striking cap-sleeve dress with a bold corset belt. Evening wear honed in on Maier's love for texture; velvet and feathered cocktail dresses and peplum gowns emoted the perfect sense of opulence, with just the right amount of mystique. For his die-hard bag ladies, Maier provided a range of reptilian-print satchels and leather clutches featuring the brand's iconic woven intrecciato technique. More details from the collection below.
- Trends: Peplum, velvet, cropped trousers.
- Colors: Black, purple, gray, mauve, orange, brown, navy.
- Key Piece: The feather and jewel-embellished dresses were beautiful.
- Accessories: Knee-high boots, opera-length gloves, reptilian-print and woven satchels, jeweled brooches, ankle-strap pumps, sheer socks.
- Who Would Wear It: Victoria Beckham, Julianne Moore, and Diane Kruger; women who crave ladylike polish with a modern edge.