Derek Lam was California dreamin' for his Spring 2012 collection, invoking "mid-century louche and luxury," according to show notes. Think Palm Springs, Frank Sinatra, and Angie Dickinson by the pool, and you have the inspiration for Lam's upbeat collection that still carried his signature clean lines and classic silhouettes. '60s geometric prints enlivened pencil skirts, and colors like canary yellow and coral were mixed into fitted knits and one beautifully flowing jumpsuit. For evening, there were beaded tile dresses in loose, flowy silhouettes, perfect for cocktail hour and dancing under the stars. To really understand just how beautiful these clothes were in person, you have to check out our runway video.
- Trends: '60s, geometric prints, jumpsuits, leather, minimalism.
- Colors: Caramel, yellow, coral, peppermint, marine.
- Key Piece: Anything leather, the coral jumpsuit, the little white dresses.
- Accessories: The leather cage applique Bristol wedge, Charley clutch, leather and vinyl capri wedge.
- Who Would Wear It: Timeless, polished girls who favor classic looks — Rachel Bilson, Charlize Theron, Angelina Jolie.