Is there such a thing as couture grunge? Judging from Dries Van Noten's Spring '13 collection, there is. "I wanted to go back to having fun with clothes," said Van Noten. “It’s everything that I love. It has that kind of menswear/women’s-wear kind of grungy, spontaneous feel.” Fun it was, but with a very refined edge seen in the designer's perfectly crafted lineup of printed and rosette-embellished skirts, silk plaid blouses, crinkled floral printed trousers, and sleek peplum vests. Even the robe blazers and jackets had a decidedly louche yet elegant tilt to them. Meanwhile, Van Noten showed easy floral-printed slip dresses and diaphanous sheer gowns that billowed effortlessly down the runway. It was the most romantically cool collection we've ever seen, and suffice to say, we want every single look.
- Trends: Plaid, floral prints, embellishments, sheer layers.
- Colors: Navy, aubergine, sage green, blue, gray, pale yellow.
- Key Piece: The gorgeous black embellished skirt paired with the aubergine sheer plaid blouse.
- Accessories: Printed pumps, plaid clutches, round oversize sunglasses, metal pendant necklaces.
- Who Should Wear It: Fashion heavy hitters who have a penchant for eclectic silhouettes and embellishments like Maggie Gyllenhaal, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Cate Blanchett.