I have a blonde bombshell of a friend who is a self-proclaimed broad-shouldered gal. We recently went shopping together because she needed tops and dresses and I'm here to help! We ended up scoring her some new fun and feminine pieces that helped proportion her shoulder with the rest of her bodacious bod.
I'm sure broad-shouldered broad Jessica Biel faces this challenge everyday and you can see such a difference between when she wears something ultra femme (left) and something not so femme (right). Not to say gals with broad shoulders can't wear a tee shirt when going casual, but here are some tips and items to trick the eye into thinking you have perfectly proportionate shoulders. Hope they help!
- Loose deep v-neck sweaters, and v-necks in general, are your best friend.
- Slouchy, menswearish trousers create more volume on the bottom therefore balancing out the shoulders.
- Shrunken blazers with a nipped in waist make the upper half appear more compact.
- A long, swingy top plays up the curve of the hips.
- Contrary to what you may think, suspenders cut the shoulders down the middle and elongate the torso.
- A feminine, flirty blouse softens an angular frame.