Currently, I'm in love with shoe chains, but I'm not in love with paying an exorbitant amount for them. So what to do? DIY them, of course! It all came together in a matter of a day — I kid you not. I set out on a hunt for the perfect chain bracelets in the afternoon, found them an hour later, and transformed them into shoe chains that night. OK, it sounds easier than it was, but luckily, I paved the way for you to follow on a relatively bump-free path . . .
To get step-by-step instructions, and to see more photos,
- Two identical chain bracelets that have a lobster claw closure (see suggestions in widget below). Toggle closures and bangles won't work — there is no room to add extra chain links.
- A pack of extra chain links that match your bracelet. I got one of these Jewelry Essentials Findings Chains in Gold ($4) from Michaels.
- A pair of cool boots that are at least ankle-length. Or, you can play around with other shoes!
- Start by taking pliers and removing the chain links on the side of the bracelet without the lobster claw closure. You're next going to replace them with the extra chain links you bought.
- Next, place the bracelet around your shoe. This will determine how much extra chain you will need so that the bracelet can go fully around your boot.
- Take the extra chain and connect it to the bracelet using pliers.
- Put the bracelet around your boot and connect one end to the other using the lobster claw closure.
- Repeat for the other pair.
- Ta-dah! Enjoy your boot bling.