For Fall 2012, Giambattista Valli honed in on the neo-lady — a different breed of ladylike sensibility that mixed edgier prints with classically tailored silhouettes. The result? A mashup of brightly patterned chiffon, major fur embellishments, matchy-matchy suits, an updated take on houndstooth, and sheer pleated skirts to start. While the overarching theme was markedly femme sophistication, Valli took care to never let that steer him away from a bright color palette (orange! red! gold!), prints on prints, and see-through details. A perfect example of this can be found in a menswear-inspired suit set decked out in a bold geo-pattern, or in the sleek frocks adorned with a dropwaist-esque hem and embellished with fur. It's an interesting mix of evening-suitable looks injected with a totally youthful quirk.
- Trends: Peplum sweaters, ladylike pencil skirts and modest sheaths, cinched waists, fur-lined hems, bold printed suits, sheer pleats, and patterned chiffon.
- Colors: Black, white, red, gold, orange, and burgundy.
- Key Look: We loved the fluid movement of the sheer pleated skirts — such a flirty feminine look — and the inclusion of bright patterns.
- Accessories: Metallic waist belts and super chunky ankle-strap platforms.
- Who Would Wear It: Red carpet A-listers like Emma Stone, Reese Witherspoon, Salma Hayek, and Diane Kruger.