Let's take a moment to put aside the holiday styling preparations, and turn our attention to a more casual affair. We're thinking off-duty here. More specifically, we're thinking about the ways in which we can take our low-key Winter looks — layers, layers, and more layers — and transform them into chic, functional, nonbulky uniforms. Let's start with three solid outfit ideas: a silky maxi dress-turtleneck combo for the feminine styler, a plaid-infused ensemble for the classicist, and a leather-fur-wool trifecta that won't let a textural enthusiast down. Click on for our latest (off-duty) edition of how not to look like the Michelin Man when heading out into subzero temps, and tell us how you'll be wearing your laid-back wares this weekend.
Winter whites with a layered, cozy twist. To make sure you're not drowning in the lighter hue, take care to play with proportions, tones, and texture. Here, we went with a cream-colored base (the maxidress) and offset it with a stark white turtleneck — angora was a plus! — and a luxe faux fur coat. The accessories are really up to you, but if you want to give your neutral foundation a one-two punch, go for a seasonal twist of oxblood red. A sultry-hued Chelsea flat boot and a matte red lip bode perfectly for this wintry mix.
Shop the look:
- Mango Angora Turtleneck Jumper  ($55)
- T by Alexander Wang Silk-Charmeuse Maxi Dress  ($105, originally $270)
- Anna Sui Faux Shearling Coat  ($290, originally $580)
- Gorjana Small Star Stud Earrings  ($35)
- Ralph Lauren Denim & Supply Cable Knit Beanie  ($55)
- Bobbi Brown Lip Color in Black Berry  ($24)
- Wolford Satin Opaque 50 Tights  ($45)
- Elizabeth and James Paul Boot  ($260)
For the girl who wants to keep her off-duty classic, chic, but most of all, super casual, pair a cool combination of plaid print, knitted layers, and a mixed-media coat to achieve your desired effect. We love the juxtaposition of a traditional plaid pattern against a bold mustard hue, maybe just as much as we love the fur-lined booties, burgundy bag, and leather-paneled peacoat together. Any way you spin it, you've got a layered-up look that's going to keep you warm (and cute) all Winter long.
Shop the look:
- Rails Plaid Shirt  ($128)
- A.P.C. Pull-On Sweater  ($280)
- Topshop Moto Vintage Skinny Leigh Jeans  ($76)
- J Brand Alberta Peacoat  ($995)
- Rag & Bone Felted Cable Circle Scarf  ($110, originally $220)
- Fresh Sugar Lip Balm SPF 15  ($23)
- IIIBeCa by Joy Gryson Duane Crossbody Bag  ($158)
- Madewell Wigwam Cypress Socks  ($12)
- J.Crew MacAlister Shearling Wedge Boots  ($170, originally $250)
This is equal parts tough girl (look at all that leather!) and girlie-girl (a soft pink textured sweater is key), and it just so happens to hit all the right notes for a low-key cold-weather look. If you are a big fan of texture, here's an easy way to go full throttle: pair a wool-knit sweater with a fur gilt, leather pants, and a camel coat. Together these things make a combo bound to keep you really warm — and did we mention you'll look super cute too?
Shop the look:
- Vanessa Bruno Chunky-Knit Sweater  ($306, originally $875)
- Topshop Tassle Hem Faux Fur Gilet  ($110)
- Karl by Karl Lagerfeld Pacey Faux Leather Mid-Rise Skinny Pants  ($100, originally $200)
- AllSaints Nikol Coat  ($550)
- Max Studio Long Leather Gloves  ($98)
- Erickson Beamon Field of Dreams Swarovski Crystal Earrings  ($240)
- River Island Zip Side Ankle Boots  ($70)