Picture this: you're just a badass '80s babe with a penchant for all things rock 'n' roll — patent leather, zebra stripes, and studded buckle belts. But Isabel Marant is sending you back to school. Cover up your animal-print skinnies with an argyle sweater and gather your hot-mess hair — we promise the result is just as cool. While cardigans fastened with paper clips and ruffled blouses paired with edgy miniskirts sound like a disaster, Marant makes unexpected combinations look like the perfect match.
It's the little things that make the Fall '16 collection so loud: models wore fishnet tights, chain necklaces, and single ball drop earrings. They affixed netted fascinators to their heads (Kate Middleton definitely wouldn't approve of these). They stomped the runway in triple-strap loafers splashed with zebra and leopard. The Isabel Marant girl is standing her ground, and she's kind of a crazy chick.
While this season's trends aren't ignored — high-neck, Victorian-inspired silhouettes were present — they were introduced gradually, lace and chiffon meeting fishnets for the very first time and hitting it off thanks to the addition of a wide, red tiger belt. Read on for a few more show notes if your inner rebel queen can handle it, and then scroll for the full lineup.
- Trends: Single statement earring, fishnets, '80s rocker prints, and patent leather.
- Colors: Black and red, gray plaid, and oatmeal.
- Key Look: A tight-fitting red satin set pulled off the shoulder and complete with an oversize bow — paired with zebra flats, of course.
- Shoes: Zebra and leopard loafers and studded wrap flats, some with patent leather straps.
- Other Accessories: Chain wrapped necklaces, single drop earrings, wide patent leather belts. Paper clips made an appearance too, in the form of a single earring or as a brooch on a sweater.
- Front Row: Rosie Huntington-Whiteley felt like the perfect front-row staple at the perfect time. The flashiness of Saint Laurent — another one of her favorite labels — can be compared to Isabel Marant's new collection.