>> Earlier in the week, a spokesman for John Galliano's namesake label confirmed that their Sunday show would go on as usual, but now it sounds like there has been a change of plans, after all. A couple of reports have popped up on Twitter that the Galliano show has been canceled, while a spokesperson for the brand told FashionEtc. that the show will go on as scheduled March 6, but "the format has yet to be determined," which makes it sound like the planned runway show has been canceled and will instead be a presentation or showroom visits by appointment.
As Suzy Menkes writes, "The future of the John Galliano brand, which is underwritten by Dior, relies on licenses and barely breaks even financially, is complex. Executives will have to see whether those external partners still want to be associated with a designer whose name has been globally smirched." And the Wall Street Journal adds: "Mr. Galliano's smaller line that carries his own name has remained a small business that depends largely on licenses for such products as perfumes and sunglasses for its sales."
UPDATE: There will be an informal presentation for the Galliano brand on Sunday, consisting of 30 looks that were already completed. “We just felt it wasn’t appropriate to do a classic fashion show,” says Galliano’s spokesman, Alexandre Malgouyres. “But we’re doing John’s collection, for John, so that he returns quickly.” [WSJ]