Like so many of our favorite contemporary designers, Michelle Smith was also feeling the '90s-era nostalgia for Milly's Fall 2013 collection. We typically look to Milly for party-girl dresses and easy daywear, but this season there was an obvious shift to something cooler. Drawing from urban landscapes, Smith's set had a punk-meets-glam rock feel in high-wattage finishes — be it via a hologram bag, plaid, or photo prints layered and juxtaposed against menswear-inspired silhouettes, classic wool, and leather bombers. There are the pieces that have the statement-making power built right in — the patent, embossed, and lurex minis, perforated sweatshirts, and glittered, girlie midiskirts that you can already envision bloggers showing off in street-style shoots. But, when you peel away the layers of plaid, sequins, and glossy finishes, there's a collection of great outerwear in brilliant color, leather trousers, and little dresses that have just as much appeal as any of Milly's trendier fare.
- Trends: Metallics, '90s silhouettes, leather, plaid.
- Colors: Black, royal blue, silver, hot pink, gray.
- Shoes: Black ankle boots, silver heels.
- Beauty look: Messy, low ponytails, fresh faces, pink lips.
- Editors' pick: We're eying those oversize hologram clutches.