Katharine Hepburn and Marlene Dietrich served as Peter Som's inspiration for his Fall 2012 collection — specifically, their knack for exuding femininity even when they donned menswear. The show started with a pretty ode to Winter white — monochromatic outfits got a textural punch thanks to cool fabric combinations like wool with organza. The play between masculine and feminine came through via tailoring and textures: streamlined silhouettes were softened with details like eyelet and bonded satin. There were strong sculptural references in the ultra-fitted tops that suddenly burst into waves of peplum, and wrap jackets structured with molded balloon sleeves. And what of the glamour that Hollywood icons like Hepburn and Dietrich were famous for? It came through in the luxe furs, particularly a teal fur coat over a twill voile pant that glimmered under the runway lights.
- Trends: Multicolored fur, balloon sleeves, peplum, architectural silhouettes.
- Colors: Plum, emerald, ivory, ruby.
- Key Piece: The peplum tops are a must have for their mix of fantastic tailoring and femininity.
- Accessories: Aperlai did the shoes, including two-tone pumps.
- Who Would Wear It: Olivia Palermo sat front row, and we bet she'll be wearing the peplum tops next season. Confident, fashion-loving girls who crave a statement piece will dig this collection.