A Fab reader recently wrote in asking us to start PetiteSugar. Since that's not on the roster (but you never know...) we decided we could do a Fab Body Guide dedicated to petites.
I lightly touched on the subject with Rachel Bilson, but here are many more helpful tips on how to elongate your silhouette, accessories dos and don'ts, and online retail shops with stylish fashions for petites.
Tips on elongating your small frame:
- Wearing similar colors, or monochrome, gives the illusion you're taller. It provides a continuous flow from one item of your outfit to the next.
- When you don't want to wear all one color, just make sure the silhouette of your outfit is lengthening. For example, if you want to wear a fuchsia blouse with white pants, make sure the hem of the pants sweeps the floor, even with your high heels.
- To avoid looking wide, stay away from horizontal stripes and colorblocking; you can certainly do skinny stripes though!
- Another style that makes you appear wide is anything overly billowy, a la Nicole Richie's tiered mini dress. If you must dabble with the trend, steer clear of tiers.
To hear more advice about petite fashion and to see some Fab outfits we put together, read more
- Speaking of creating continuous flow, make sure your shoes and tights are similar in color. A black outfit with a white shoe will chop up your leg and make you look stout.
- Avoid super long tunics, especially if you're wearing a long skirt or pants. With a skirt that hits above the knee, mid-thigh grazing tops are a more acceptable. Also be wary of cropped jackets and tops — they don't call them cropped for nothing!
- When wearing cropped or capri pants do like Sarah Jessica Parker and wear them with high heels.
Accessories Dos and Don'ts
- Do wear pointed toe shoes because they are more lengthening than round toe.
- Don't wear T-Straps, bows, or heavy buckles on your footwear because it creates a wide, chunky effect.
- Do wear flats, but keep your outfit silhouette slim.
- Do stay away from wide, colorful belts. If you're going to wear a belt, opt for a skinny one.
- Shopstyle Petites
- Nordstrom Petite Shop
- Gap Petites
- Newport News Petites
- Banana Republic Petites
- Reet Petite
Fab Petite Outfits