Maybe it was the models' purply-blue eyeshadow, the iridescent sleeves on the structured coats, the black carpeting on the runway, or the really cool black cape that opened the show, but the Prabal Gurung woman felt mysterious — or downright otherworldly — for Fall 2012. Gurung's carefully sculpted aesthetic was still completely feminine, thanks to ruffled tops, feathers, and beading, but there was a definite futuristic element thanks to digital prints and a series of gold lamé pieces with strong geometric shapes. As for the woman of mystery, sometimes the models were in sunglasses, other times in tall black hats, as if they were changing personas with each look. If the show started in dark, it ended incredibly light, with a series of ethereal white gowns that seemed to float down the runway, and likely right onto a red carpet sometime in the near future.
- Trends: Cutouts, feathers, futurism, minimalism, capes, balloon sleeves.
- Colors: Black, gold, white, cobalt, digitized prints.
- Key Piece: Joan Smalls in a beaded, semi-sheer black gown was pretty gorgeous.
- Accessories: Triple-strap black heels, gold power belts, black police hats.
- Who Would Wear It: Someone who wants to make a dramatic statement. We can see Diane Kruger in the gold dresses, Jennifer Aniston in the short black dresses, and Emma Stone in the blue print dresses.