Proenza Schouler's Spring 2012 collection cited Googie architecture as an influence and all the things that came with it: midcentury modern design and a little bit of kitsch. Specifically, the Proenza boys mentioned the Fontainebleu Hotel in Miami, which might explain the shag rug runway, zebra prints, and raffia. Ladylike silhouettes — fitted high-waist pencil skirts and structured jackets — kept the collection feeling polished and refined. There was plenty of color, print, and texture, like bold yellow, turquoise blue, tropical prints, raffia, to make the collection full of wearable, covetable pieces for Spring.
- Trends: midcentury modernism, architectural themes, tropical prints.
- Colors: bright yellow, turquoise blue, earth tones, orange.
- Key Piece: eelskin skirts, any of the floral pieces.
- Accessories: wood-platform, open-toe sandals.
- Who Would Wear It: Proenza has the downtown-cool girl in its pocket — Alexa Chung, Jessica Stam, Liv Tyler.
Make sure to check out all of our New York Fashion Week coverage!