It's time for the big Spring closet cleanse — are you ready? In addition to properly storing away your Winter layers, it's just as important to prepare your warm-weather wardrobe for a seamless style transition. Just read below for our top 10 tips and tricks to achieving ultimate Spring cleaning closet karma.
- Prep your Winter coats for storage. Make sure to properly clean your heavy coats and jackets before you pack them away. Note: never store your coats (or anything else for that matter) in dry-cleaning bags. They're filled with harsh chemicals and can also trap moisture that can lead to mildew. Instead, opt for plastic storage bins, fabric garment bags, or plastic storage bags that can be vacuum-sealed.
- Clean your boots. There's nothing worse than a pair of ruined boots. That being said, we suggest you fork over a few extra bucks and take your footwear to your tried-and-true shoe man for the works: cleaning, water-proof protection, and, if necessary, resoling. Believe us, your shoes will thank you come next Winter.
- Sweater care. Always clean your sweaters before putting them away for the season. Wool and cotton sweaters can be stored in airtight plastic storage bags, but if you have the extra space, a plastic bin works best. Cashmere sweaters are extradelicate, so make sure to wrap them in an extra layer of tissue paper before storage. Tip: if you start to see holes, you can put the sweaters in a plastic bag and stick it in the freezer for two to three days to kill off any bugs.
- Get rid of stuff. It might sound a little drastic, but if you haven't worn that sweater dress or jacket all Winter long, you most likely won't wear it next season. Free up your precious closet space and give these pieces away to someone in need.
- Don't forget the accessories. Your scarves, hats, and gloves also deserve a little TLC. These accessories, especially gloves (think about all the subway poles and door handles you've touched all Winter long), go through daily usage so it's pertinent to give these a thorough cleaning before tucking them away.
Five more Spring cleaning tips here.
- Bust out the sandals. Before you know it, sunshine will be upon you — and your toes. That said, save time from scrounging around the back of your closet and dust off your sandals right now. Then, get ready to slip into them once the temperature heats up.
- Evaluate your basics. Are you lacking any must-have Spring basics? Now that your Winter coats and sweaters are cleared out of the way, take inventory of any basics you might need for the upcoming season, like a trench coat, cool tee, or the most perfect pair of jeans.
- Reorganize your closet. Move all of those darker wares to the back, and let all of your pretty Spring tops, dresses, skirts, and printed pants take top priority, front and center.
- Swap out your bags. It's all about lighter and brighter bags for Spring, so pack away your black oversize bags in exchange for easy totes and statement clutches. If you haven't invested in a minibag yet, we suggest you nab one ASAP.
- Start shopping now. Instead of feeling the rush to buy your Spring necessities midseason, start shopping now to maximize their full styling potential.
For even more Spring cleaning tips, check out our guide to creating the most organized closet, ever.