After the following experience, I vow to never toss out my gum on the floor again. I was ordering a drink at a nice bar recently when I felt my shoe sticking to the ground. Shoot, I stepped on gum. How did that happen? No time to dwell, I had to get the gum off, pronto. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I wasn't wearing this swoon-worthy Proenza Schouler Elastic Wrap Sandal ($595), but I was wearing a newly purchased shoe I love.
To see how I took care of the situation,
- First I grabbed a napkin from the bar and used it to remove as much of the gum as possible. I didn't throw out the napkin just yet.
- I then asked the bartender for an ice cube and used it to rub the surface of the remaining gum until it was fully wet.
- Finally, I used the gum from inside the napkin to blot the stuck gum with it. Voila.
If you happen to have a jar of peanut butter on hand, you can also use this technique:
- Grab a butter knife and a jar of peanut butter, preferably without nuts.
- Spread a thick coat of peanut butter all over the area with gum. Allow it to sit for five minutes.
- Take a scrub brush and scrub the peanut butter/gum until it's almost gone.
- Wash what is left on your shoe in the sink.