An exercise in juxtapositions, Tracy Reese crafted a fresh crop of city-meets-safari wares, delivering both easy silhouettes and rich detail — the likes of which front-row attendees like Lauren Conrad will be snapping up next season. The hype that's been building for Reese's Spring '13 lineup, thanks to the first lady's appearance in one of the designer's sheaths at the DNC only days ago, culminated in a collection that might be summed up best as breezy, bright — and totally wearable. We were treated to Reese's studied contrasts in sporty and feminine and soft and structured, themes that manifested as vibrant little dresses with lots of movement one minute, then structured leather jackets the next. Per usual, Reese tackled her themes with an upbeat tilt — there's a cheer to her pieces from the vibrant prints and playful pants (finished in sequins) right down to the fringed sandals and satchels that accompanied each look.
- Trends: Colored leather, moto-style jackets and vests, fringe, jumpsuits, animal print, and drop-waists.
- Colors: Tangerine, cool blues and greens, metallic accents, all tempered with nudes, black, and white.
- Key Piece: The fluid pants with sequin detailing make our must-have list for Spring, as does the perforated nude-hued shift.
- Accessories: Clear oversize specs, fringed heels, metallic heels, and fringed satchels.
- Who Should Wear It: Kristen Bell, Olivia Palermo, Jessica Alba; we'd love to see Kristen Stewart ditch her jeans and Converse for some of these easy, feminine looks.