The style star of any wedding celebration is going to be the gown, but all the accompanying events and activities open the door for a lot of other "wow, she looks amazing" moments totally worth seizing. A recent scan through my mother's wedding photos unearthed a gem I haven't been able to shake from my mind as I've been nuptial (and, therefore, wardrobe) planning: her in a slim, perfectly cut white suit, waving goodbye to revelers as she left her reception, honeymoon bound.
Have you thought about the look? While I'm thoroughly besotted with my white, princess-worthy wedding dress, I've thought up five smart occasions to make the suit work. Read through them below, and then shop some chic sets.
- Leaving your reception: Changing to leave your reception is a retro trend that I love. Consider it your first fashion moment as a married woman, switching out of the gown that saw you down the altar and into something that's more grown-up. And, honestly, skinnies will be more comfortable for a ride than your voluminous dress.
- Rehearsal dinner: A chic white dress is the obvious choice for your night-before gathering, but the suit is just as refined while feeling a tad fresher. Bonus: if you're getting married in the Fall or Winter, the extra coverage will be much appreciated should you step out on a terrace for a cocktail or chat.
- Reception: More and more brides opt for a second outfit to get down at the reception. While it's usually a mini (or something that's easier to dance in than a long dress), the idea of a matched suit has the same practical appeal. And let's be honest: if you're going to dance, pants are going to be a bit more forgiving to extreme moves.
- Going-away brunch: If your wedding schedule has a morning-after gathering on the calendar, you'll need another outfit fit for a bride. While it's tempting to succumb to your comfiest jeans, bear in mind this is the last time your guests will be seeing you on your big weekend. Make it count!
- Shower: But before the actual day gets here, there are still opportunities to show your suit some action. Most brides-to-be are forever on the search for a cute white dress that'll work for these sort of female-only occasions, but give the suit a thought. It still highlights you as the special lady of the hour, but it has a glam Bianca Jagger vibe everyone present will fall all over themselves to comment on.