The first of many Costume Institute Gala highlights:
- Gareth Pugh was dressed as Karl Lagerfeld. His rationale: "I came as my superhero."
- On the red carpet, one reporter tried to hold a Batman mask up to Anna Wintour's face. She "promptly retreated to the other side of the carpet."
- It's official, Andre Leon Talley has the worst red carpet taste ever. First the Jennifer Hudson Oscars debacle, now Kimora Lee Simmons last night — he helped design her Kevan Hall gown, which was hand-painted in Africa.
- Zac Posen came dressed as Clark Kent in glasses, blue, and red . . . and not so long ago, he was getting paid $60 to intern at the same event.
- Christian Louboutin wore a "Bang" sign on his lapel, and some seriously studded shoes on his feet.
- When Donatella Versace and Karl Lagerfeld were asked which superhero they looked up to, they both replied, "Myself."