I love a good race, and it sounds like the marathon in Boston today was an exciting one. With a winning time of 2:26:11, Teyba Erkesso of Ethiopia crossed the finish line first today at the 114th running of the Boston Marathon. The 27-year-old takes home a purse of $150,000. Second place was garnered by Tatyana Pushkareva, 24, of Russia, who crossed the line only three seconds behind the winner with a time of 2:26:14. Salina Kosgei, the Kenyan defending champion, came in third place with a time of 2:28:35. The prize for second place is $75,000, and the third place winner takes home $40,000. American Paige Higgins came in 13th place with a time of 2:36:00. Congrats to all the runners — elites and the rest of the pack.
Learn the winners of the men's race when you
- Robert Cheruiyot of Kenya, 2:05:52 — winnings $150,000 plus $25,000 bonus for setting a course record
- Tekeste Kebede of Ethiopia, 2:07:23 — winnings $75,000
- Deribe Merga of Ethiopia, 2:08:39 — winnings $40,000
- Ryan Hall* of the United States, 2:08:41 — winnings $25,000
- Mebrahtom Keflezighi** of the United States, 2:09:26 — winnings $15,000
*Ryan Hall has the fastest US finishing time at Boston since Bob Kempainen ran 2:08:47 in 1994.
**Mebrahtom Keflezighi won the 2009 New York Marathon.