Here is my ode to resistance bands. I love using them to tone and strengthen, and it saddens me that more people don't use them. Here are five reasons why you should.
- You can target smaller muscles, like the rotator cuff around the shoulder, more easily than with weights. Using a band will increase your coordination and your balance, and utilize more muscle groups at a time.
- Bands offer more variety because you can create resistance in all directions. Also, since there are different tension levels based on the color band you use, you can easily alter the difficulty level. Use a higher tension band for an easier exercise like Bicep Curls, or a lower tension band for more difficult exercises like Overhead Shoulder Presses.
- Resistance bands can make all strength training exercises more challenging. Try using one with basic moves like push-ups and squats. Or use a band in combination with dumbbells such as this exercise called Bent Over Row With Resistance Band.
- Bands are cheap, so they make a great addition to your home gym. Buy one band for $10 or a set of three for $30.
- Resistance bands are lightweight so you can pack them in your suitcase when you travel. You can reconstruct many cable pulley machine exercises with resistance bands too.