Maybe you've been neglecting your abdominal muscles recently because you're still trying to get rid of that layer of fat covering them. Well, just because you can't see how strong they are does not mean you shouldn't strive for a strong midsection.
Here are my top five reasons for working on your abs:
- The 'Core' Reason: A strong midsection helps your entire body function in everything you do from exercising to sitting at your desk at work.
- The 'Disease Fighting' Reason: Studies have shown that individuals with a large waistline (stomach obesity) have the highest chances of developing fatal diseases, like heart disease.
- The 'Aches and Pains' Reason: Your midsection can absorb stress and strain from the activities you do. Furthermore, strong abs can help put an end to back pain.
- The 'Gotta Get Your Z's' Reason: Obesity, particularly abdominal and upper body obesity, is one of the most significant risk factors for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) - a condition that can cause a person to stop breathing for short periods of time during sleep.
- The 'Aesthetic' Reason: Let's face it -- Tight abs are hot.
Convinced yet? Good, now here is a great video to get you started.