I know in a time crunch, fad diets can seem like an easy way to drop a few extra pounds. The thing is, fad diets are not always safe, so here are five risks associated with fad dieting:
- Nutritional deficiencies caused by a lack of a balanced diet.
- Lack of physical activity from emphasis on diet only can increase the risk of heart disease.
- Lack of variety in foods can cause boredom and frustration, and make it difficult to maintain the diet for more than a brief period.
- Severe restrictions on the foods you can eat may make it difficult to establish and maintain a healthy diet in the future.
- Many quick weight-loss diets are based on unfounded claims that may do more harm than good.