Sleeping in on the weekends is rare for me since my little ones like to rise with the sun. To inspire myself to "hit the hay" a little earlier than usual I made a list of the 5 benefits of a good night sleep.
- Health: Not getting enough Z's can compromise your immune system making you more susceptible to viruses. Plus, living in a constant state of sleep debt can contribute to high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
- Smarts: Even though your body is at rest, your brain is buzzing. During sleep is when the brain sorts and processes information you absorbed while awake.
- Weight Control: Recent research indicates a relationship between insufficient sleep and inability to lose or even maintain weight.
- Coordination: Trying new activities that require coordination like step aerobics and playing the piano can be made more difficult after a bad night's sleep.
- Beauty: They don't call it "beauty sleep" for nothing. While you sleep, your body repairs itself. Experts say you need 8 hours of sleep to avoid puffy, bloodshot eyes, as well as dark under-eye circles and a pale washed-out complexion.
Well, I for one am going to bed early tonight.