I love, need, am addicted to my cup of morning coffee. I follow it with a slow and steady stream of green tea through the rest of my day. Recently I became curious about this substance, stimulant, and drug and here are a few things I learned.
- It is believed that caffeine blocks the brains uptake of the chemical adenosine that causes drowsiness by slowing down nerve cell activity. That is how it gives you so much pep.
- Dark chocolate has about 3 times as much caffeine as milk chocolate.
- The body absorbs caffeine through the stomach and intestine, and peak blood levels occur about 45 - 60 minutes after ingestion.
- Only 50 percent of regular caffeine users experience withdrawal symptoms like headache or drowsiness. No one knows why.
- Caffeine can enhance performance in endurance sports, especially for activities lasting longer than an hour.