Much maligned, fat is here to stay. Here are 5 things about this macronutrient that you should know. Listed in no particular oder, here goes:
- A gram of fat contains 9 calories. In contrast, carbs and protein only have 4 calories per gram. In other words, you can eat twice as many carbs or protein for the same amount of calories.
- The RDI for fat in adults is 20%-35% of total daily calories. That's about 44 to 77 grams of fat a day if you eat 2,000 calories a day.
- It is recommended that saturated fats (animal fat, butter, coconut and palm oils) should make up less than 10% of your total calories per day. For a person eating 2000 calories a day, this would be 20 grams of saturated fat or less per day.
- A pound of body fat burns 2 calories per day whereas a pound of muscle burns about 50 calories per day.
- Fats are vital to your health. They transport oxygen to every cell in your body, and they are the basis for every hormone, brain, and nervous system function.