Heart health month is still going strong, and I'm here with another tip on how to keep your ticker in top shape. An easy way to help your heart is to add flaxseeds to your diet. Before heading to the store, learn more about this natural source of omega-3s with these five things.
- Flaxseed is known to lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels, and it may lower blood pressure — all essential elements to having a healthy heart.
- Lignans, the fibers found in flaxseed, promote regular digestion and are thought to have a role in breast cancer prevention.
- Expect a slightly earthy, nutty flavor from flaxseeds but don't be afraid that adding them will overpower your meal. You only need one tablespoon to fulfill the daily recommended amount of omega-3s.
- Stir ground flaxseed into your morning oatmeal or cereal and sprinkle it on your lunchtime salad.
- A mixture of milled flaxseed and water can be substituted for eggs when making baked goods.