While I didn't actively avoid tomatoes during the salmonella scare, I am quite happy the FDA has finally given raw tomatoes the thumbs up. To celebrate my favorite fruit disguised as a veggie, I thought I would share five things ways tomatoes benefit your health.
- Blood Pressure: Eating tomatoes for eight weeks was found to reduce blood pressure in people with mild hypertension. So eat some tomatoes to help your heart chill out.
- Ketchup: Cooking tomatoes increases their lycopene content, and America's favorite condiment, ketchup, is no exception. However, organic ketchup has three times the amount of the antioxidants than its conventional counterpart.
- Cancer: Tomatoes have been shown to decrease the risk of pancreatic cancer as well as breast cancer.
There are two other reasons to eat tomatoes, so read more.
- Skin: Eating tomatoes can help increase skin's natural defenses when it comes to UV rays. While you should still wear sunscreen, eating tomatoes regularly can boost your skins ability to protect itself from harmful rays.
- Cholesterol: Eating tomatoes four times a week, easy to do during Summer, can reduce cholesterol.
Do love tomatoes? Tell me how you like to eat them in the comments section below.