The long, relaxing days on the beach spent with friends and family make Summer memories that take us through the colder months. Make those beach days last by packing a cooler full of healthy items; you'll be able to refuse a second trip to the ice cream truck, and you won't have to head home early from a grumbling tummy. Healthy beach preparation will be a cinch when you remember to have these five things on hand. And don't forget the sunscreen!
- Water: Bring a reusable water bottle or two full of cold water to prevent dehydration and headaches. Need some variety? Fill one of the bottles with refreshing unsweetened iced tea.
- Fruit: Toss a fruit salad in Tupperware, bring along some in-season cherries, or pack a bunch of easy-to-eat grapes.
- Veggies and hummus: Spoon hummus into a small container and cut up veggies, like peppers and carrots, for dipping. Cherry tomatoes are also delicious, especially in Summer.
- Sandwiches: Use whole wheat pita instead of bread to reduce the soggy factor, and stuff it with mayo-free fillings like veggies and sliced deli meat. Remember, you don't want to put warm food directly in the cooler. If you want a grilled chicken sandwich, prepare the chicken the night before, let it cool, and refrigerate so it's good to go in the morning.
- String cheese: Include a couple sticks of reduced-fat string cheese for a satisfying, slightly salty snack.
What's in your cooler?