When it's super cold out, we crank up the heat inside. This keeps us warm but can totally dry out our skin, especially lips since they don't secrete any oils. Here are some ways to prevent them from getting painfully chapped or cracked.
- Avoid licking dry lips. Saliva will momentarily add moisture, but it will evaporate, leaving lips feeling drier. Plus saliva contains a little bit of digestive enzyme, which won't make sore lips feel very good.
- Always keep your lips moisturized with lip balm. Ones with beeswax are soothing and long lasting. Look for tinted lip balms with SPF to keep your lips protected and looking healthy.
- Sleep with a humidifier since a heated home can cause you to wake up with dry lips that'll crack when you yawn. Ow!
- If you tend to be a drooler when you sleep, apply a lip balm that contains zinc oxide, which acts as a barrier preventing lips from drying out.
- Make sure to drink lots of water throughout the day. We tend to forget since it's cold out, but it's just as important as getting enough water in the Summer. Use Fit's Calculator to figure out how much water you should be drinking each day, and keep a water bottle with you while you work to help you remember.