Do you ever hit an exercise wall? An exercise wall is the point when you think that you cannot go on anymore. I know this happens to me often in the first 20 minutes of exercising.
The great folks over at SparkPeople are no strangers to hitting walls, so they have come up with a few ways to get you over that wall and reach your goal. Here are highlights:
- Keep going regardless: Promise yourself that, no matter what, you will press on, even if you are walking, crawling, or puttering. Stay on your feet. Eyes straight ahead. Move.
- Don't think: Just go. Do not dwell on how overwhelmingly awful you feel. Focus on the cheering crowds, your friends and family waiting at the finish, the cool water, the trees... anything.
- Try bribery: Tell yourself, "Self, when I get done with this, I'm going to buy you a new car, a new house, whatever you want."
- Word-watch: Watch the negative words and thoughts. Think instead about all the successes you have had. How about all those hills you conquered? All those long workouts you endured? You are a great person. Relish those thoughts.
- Negotiate with yourself: Give yourself permission to simply go to the next water stop, or to the next milestone, or even just the end of the day. Keep repeating that strategy until you see the finish line. Just one more mile before you say one more mile!