Despite your new year's resolution to get fit, have you already skipped a few days at the gym? You're not alone.
Maybe you just need to be more conscious of what it really takes to internalize and make a change in your habits. Behavior change experts have developed a theory showing that people move through a few stages before actually adopting a healthy new behavior.
- Precontemplation - I can't or I won't exercise
- Contemplation - I need to exercise, but just can't seem to get started
- Preparation - I am making plans and doing what it takes to get started
- Action - I have started my exercise program
- Maintenance - I have been exercising for six months and it is really becoming a habit with me
The preparation stage is probably the most important in all of this. The more you prepare and realize your goals and how you are going to accomplish them, the more likely you are to succeed. So sit down and really plan it all out (maybe even draft a contract with yourself).
Here's to a successful 2007!