One thing that I have been doing is adding on an extra ten minutes onto my cardio workout once a week. In the grand scheme of things, ten minutes is really nothing — in the calorie burning scheme of things, it's a significant amount. Here's how it breaks down:
Ten minutes of . . .
- Walking (3 mph) burns 50 more calories
- Swimming burns 69 more calories
- Jogging burns 80 more calories
- StairMaster burns 80 more calories
- Rowing Machine burns 99 more calories
- Elliptical trainer burns 129 more calories
- Stationary Bicycle burns 129 more calories
- Running (12 mph) burns 254 more calories
All the calculations above are based on a 150 lb. person, so think about adding on ten minutes to your next workout and you'll be burning major calories.