2/3 cup sugar
2 large egg whites
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup whole almonds
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (to be completely kosher for Passover, replace this with 1 teaspoon lemon zest)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper. If you don't have either of those, spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar and egg whites in a large bowl.
- Chop the almonds in a food processor.
- Add the almonds, shredded coconut, and vanilla (or lemon zest) to the egg whites and sugar mixture.
- Form dough into 16 two-tablespoon mounds, and drop each onto a sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake macaroons until golden brown on bottoms and edges, about 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes before transferring cookies to a wire rack.
- Desserts, Cookies
- 16 cookies