If you tend to feel bored at the gym and spend more time watching the clock, these easy tricks are sure to boost your motivation. Whether you're just beginning a bikini-ready plan for the Summer or consider yourself a seasoned gym rat, here are 11 simple ways to fire up your indoor workouts:
- Vary your machines: If the treadmill is your best (and only) friend, it's time to switch things up. Try the seated row, the stationary bike, the elliptical, or a mix of all four to keep your body guessing.
- Head for the hills: Ward off repetition by changing the incline regularly. The best part? You'll tone your muscles and burn extra calories.
- Direct your thoughts: If you can't stop thinking about how bored you are, try coming up with a new focus for every minute or mile. Plan your future wedding, imagine a dream home, or brainstorm your favorite songs and movies to distract yourself.
- Alternate weights and cardio: Rather than following a full strength workout with a long bout of cardio, mix up the two. Not only will you stave off boredom, but you'll also give your metabolism an extra boost from the intervals.
- Change your listening habits: If you're sick of your workout playlists, why not try an audiobook? What about a podcast? If you prefer something with a fast tempo while you run, reserve audiobooks and podcasts for incline walks or cool downs.
Keep reading for more boredom busters.
- Create your own intervals: Can't keep your eyes off the clock? Make the habit work for you by alternating speeds every couple minutes. Bonus: interval training helps you fight belly fat.
- Pal around: Find a gym buddy to get out of your own head and make exercise more exciting. Ask them to share their favorite workouts and engage in a little friendly competition for extra fun.
- Time yourself: Instead of making the clock your enemy, try using it to turn your workout into a race. Can you remember the last time you ran a timed mile? Pretend it's high school, and give yourself mini challenges to stay focused.
- Create an obstacle course: Grab a mat, a few hand weights, and a jump rope, then design your own circuit to keep things interesting. If you'd rather not fool with extra equipment, incorporate classic bootcamp exercise moves like pushups, mountain climbers, and high knees to kick-start your session.
- Compete with your neighbor: Turn your typical workout into a contest by subtly comparing notes with your neighbor. Challenge yourself to stay on the machine a bit longer or run a little faster — diverting your thoughts will make time pass in a snap.
How do you stay engaged during your workouts? Share your tips in the comments below!