With all this talk about cutting cardio out of your routine, I thought it was important to outline the major benefits of cardiovascular activity. So here it goes:
- Reduces risk of disease: Including obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, stroke and certain types of cancer.
- Improves blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels: Exercise increases your HDL cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol) and decreases your LDL cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol) in your blood.
- Improves heart function: A stronger heart doesn't need to beat as fast and pumps blood more efficiently, which means improved blood flow in the body.
- Reduces risk of osteoporosis: Weight-bearing aerobic exercises (walking) reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Improves muscle mass: Muscles move your body, the healthier the muscles are, the better you move.
- Increases calories burned: More calories burned means more weight lost.
This does not include all the emotional and aesthetic benefits you get from a few good runs or workouts on the elliptical (less stress, more sleep, improved sexual performance etc.). Now that you know the benefits, check out some of the cardio workouts I have created.