It's no surprise that we love smoothies over here. Whether they're sweet, green, or a combo of the two, they're almost always a delicious option. If you already have a go-to recipe with a flavor you love, then there's no need to fix what's not broken. But if you're looking for a little boost to your favorite blend, then any of these amazing superfoods can do the trick.
- Chia seeds: If you haven't caught onto the chia seeds craze yet, then it's time to get acquainted with their ancient magic. High in protein, fiber, calcium, and omega-3s, little chias can do wonders for your morning routine.
- Raw cacao nibs: Cacao is chock-full of magnesium and antioxidants called flavonoids that can improve heart health. If a heaping handful of cacao nibs a little too bitter for your taste buds, then choose the powdered form instead.
- Acai: Harvested from palm trees in the Amazon, acai may be tough to pronounce, but it's easy to toss in. While acai doesn't necessarily aid weight loss, it is a great source of antioxidants, fiber, and heart-healthy fats.
- Maca: Hailing from Peru, maca has been shown to increase energy, endurance, and libido. Not a bad way to start the a.m.! Just be sure to go light the first time you try out the powder. The flavor can be a little much.
- Goji berries: Loaded with vitamin C, carotenoids, and fiber, the goji berry — also known as a wolfberry — is a little red beauty with a lot of power. Some studies have suggested that goji berries may even improve brain function and prevent heart disease.
- Spirulina: It may have had its heyday in the 1970s, but I love this blue-green algae. As one of the few known plant sources of vitamin B12 and a complete protein, spirulina is chock-full of enzymes and probiotics that can help enhance your immune and digestive system. It's a perfect addition to any green shake!
Keep reading for three more easy superfood smoothie additions.
Have you superpowered your smoothie with any of these foods? Tell me in the comments!