There are few comforting restaurant dishes I love more in this world than a hot bowl of broccoli-cheese soup. In college, I can remember going to "study" with girlfriends at Panera Bread where I would order this fatty soup in a bread bowl. I needed to fuel my brain, right?!
While I no longer indulge in this fast-food delight on a weekly basis, my tastes haven't necessarily changed. That's where these amazing bites come into play. Warm, cheesy, and satisfying with only 40 calories per serving (20 if you hold the shredded mozzarella on top!) these beautiful bites will curb even the most intense broccoli-cheese cravings. They'd make a tasty light side dish or a party-pleasing appetizer.
- 3 cups broccoli florets, steamed and blotted dry
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- Pinch of sweetener that measures like sugar, optional
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with silicone or foil muffin liners and spray with cooking spray.
- Chop the broccoli florets into small pieces (no bigger than the size of a marble).
- In a large bowl, add the broccoli, cottage cheese, parmesan, egg whites, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion, and optional sweetener. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of the broccoli mixture down with your fingers. Sprinkle each bite with mozzarella if desired.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and enjoy warm.
Source: Calorie Count
- 12 muffins
- Calories per serving