Broccoli has gained much popularity because as we've all heard - it's loaded with healthy stuff. But really, how good is it?
- Steamed broccoli has more vitamin C than an orange and as much calcium as a glass of milk.
- One medium spear has 3 times more fiber than a slice of wheat bran bread.
- It is one of the richest sources of vitamin A.
- Broccoli, along with spinach, helps to minimize the risk of cataracts.
- Broccoli contains potent cancer fighting phytochemicals.
- It's listed as one of the foods most likely to prevent colon cancer.
- Broccoli is not alone: kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and bok choy are in the same family and they all have cancer fighting properties.
Fit's Tips: Your mom was right. Eat your broccoli - it IS good for you.