Chocolate-covered strawberries are one of life's sweetest gifts, but let me tell you — these are even better. Biting into the velvety smooth, chocolate mousse filling will defintely get you in the mood for love, or in the mood to reach for another!
And no one will guess that the mousse is made without milk or eggs. We're talking good-for-you ingredients like silken tofu and chickpeas which helps to cut down on the calories and saturated fat.
Better yet — a five-piece serving is only 87 calories. Much better than a real chocolate-dipped strawberry, which is about 40 calories per strawberry! This vegan and gluten-free recipe is a much healthier way to satisfy your chocolate strawberry cravings.
1/2 container silken tofu (1/2 pound)
1/4 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
5 pitted dates
1/8 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
40 large strawberries, washed and dried
1/4 bar dark chocolate, chopped
- Add all the ingredients except the strawberries and dark chocolate to a food processor. Puree until completely smooth, for several minutes.
- Place mousse in the fridge for at least 60 minutes. If you're making this recipe ahead of time, it's OK to leave the mousse in the fridge overnight.
- Using a knife or strawberry huller, carve out the middle of each strawberry.
- Spoon a small amount of the mousse into each strawberry. Place in a shallow rectangular dish. Top with a sprinkling of chopped dark chocolate and enjoy immediately, or keep in the fridge until ready to serve (up to a day).
Here's the nutritional information for one five-strawberry serving:
Source: Calorie Count
- Desserts, Chocolate
- 8 servings (5 strawberries in one serving)
- Cook Time
- 2 hours
- Calories per serving