I recently told you about a few tips on how to cut costs at the grocery store while keeping your meals nutritious. And University of Michigan Health System nutritionist Holly Scherer has come up with a few more ways to keep eating healthy and cost effective.
- Look for the generic or store brand.
- Stock up on nonperishables when they go on sale.
- Avoid the temptation of the cookie aisle and the chip aisle. Spend more time in the perimeter of the store, where the fresh products are, and really focus on the fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and the low-fat dairy.
- Use coupons, but only for things that you normally would buy, not a lot of high-fat, high-sugar foods.
- Cook at home instead of going out to eat.
- When you do eat out and you know that a restaurant serves large portions, have them bag half the meal right when they serve it and eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.
What are some of your own tips for eating healthy on a budget?