There's a lot of pressure that comes with the New Year — resolutions and fresh starts to name a few. Try something different in 2013, by making easy, healthy swaps instead of setting out with a list of complex resolutions. Try switching out your pack of Splenda for flossing . . . yes, flossing! These little changes will eventually add up, and without realizing it, you will soon accomplish what you set out to do.
- Take the stairs: Instead of hopping on the escalator or waiting for the elevator, take the stars. It may not seem like much, but eventually all those stairs add up. The result? A toned tush and killer calves — perfect for those heels!
- Switch out Splenda for stevia: Although all those little yellow packs have zero calories, they often coincide with a variety of unwanted symptoms like headaches and stomach pains. Since the idea of a no-calorie sweetener is appealing, try stevia, a natural extract made from the stevia plant. This is a healthier option when compared to other artificial sweeteners and is a simple switch to make to your daily cup of coffee.
- Stretch: An important act that often gets dismissed, a few minutes of stretching before and after your workout (and throughout the day) will make all the difference when it comes to your overall health. Showing your muscles a little love will prevent injury and will keep you long and lean. You can even stretch in the shower!
- Floss: Flossing is part of any healthy routine and for good reason. Flossing takes seconds, but will prevent plaque buildup, which eventually leads to gingivitis. It also keeps your pearly whites white. Who doesn't want that?
- Drink your veggies — daily: Juicing comes with loads of benefits. Juices and smoothies are fresh, on-the-go ways to flood your body with vitamins and nutrients. Make a smoothie once a day for an extra pep in your step (we promise).
Keep reading for five more ways to make 2013 your best year yet!
- Go for a walk during your lunch break: Get out — get walking! Take a walk down the block or grab a coffee from the café a few blocks away. A little movement and fresh air will help break up your day and has several healthy benefits.
- Don't sleep near your cell phone: Although your cell phone makes a great alarm, it doesn't need to be beside you at all hours. Unplugging will help you recharge and prevent unwanted disruptions while you sleep.
- Try something new at the gym: It's OK to play favorites, but trying a new piece of equipment will switch things up and work different muscles. If you're unsure of how something works, just ask your gym's staff to prevent injury.
- Choose whole wheat over white: Extend your whole wheat rule beyond your loaf of bread and follow it with other carb choices like cereals, crackers, and chips. For dinner, consider tasty recipes with brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, or buckwheat.
- Carry a water bottle: Stay hydrated in 2013 by keeping a water bottle with you. You'll immediately increase your water intake, meaning a better workout and glowing skin.